Wednesday, 3 October 2018

BANES Councillors - What are they responsible for?

Many parts of England have 2 tiers of Local Government:

  • County Council
  • District, Borough or City Councils

In some parts of the country, there’s just 1 (unitary) tier of local government providing all the local services. The 3 main types are:
  • Unitary authorities in shire areas
  • London Boroughs
  • Metropolitan Boroughs
Bath & North East Somerset Council is a Unitary Authority and therefore are responsible for services across the whole area, which include:

Fire and Public Safety
Social Care
Waste Management
Trading Standards
Rubbish Collection
Council Tax collections
Housing - although a lot of this was sold off to Housing Associations many years ago
Planning Applications

This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, but is an example of areas that Local Councillors have input and responsibility for as opposed to the MP (Member of Parliament) for the area, who represents the areas view on National issues eg NHS, Central Government Policies that Local Authorities have to follow to effectively manage local issues and other issues that affect the country as a whole.

More information about what Local Councillors can do for you can be found on the BANES website.