After the long hot summer this year its now time to focus on preparing for winter – and we’re urging everyone to take just five simple steps to make sure winter doesn’t catch them out:
1. Get gas appliances safety checked by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer – this should be done every year.
2. Keep your eye on your appliances: Flames on your cooker and boiler should be crisp and blue, and no sooty black marks on or around any gas appliances.
3. Make sure you have an audible carbon monoxide (CO) alarm: it might save your life and save you from the debilitating side effects of CO poisoning.
4. Know the signs of CO poisoning: a headache is the most common but also dizziness, feeling sick, tiredness & confusion, stomach pain and shortness of breath. The symptoms are flu-like without the high temperature – but very high levels can kill almost instantly.
5. Save the National Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999 in your phone so you can call it immediately if you smell gas or suspect the presence of CO.